Were visions of breastfeeding bliss dancing through your head before you actually tried the whole breastfeeding thing out?
How long did that last? A mere ten seconds? Even that may be stretching it a bit......
Oh breastfeeding, how could such a good thing be so stinkin' hard and so stinkin' painful!
The bad news is you will in all likelihood have problems breastfeeding newborn babe. But wait, there's good news too!
The good news is the most trouble you'll have with breastfeeding will probably occur in the newborn stage. So if you can survive the first three months, you're money!
Here are the most common problems you're likely to encounter breastfeeding a newborn:
1) Boredom! Especially in the newborn stage you can expect to be tethered to that cute little bambino for hours upon hours upon hours upon...well you get the picture. My solution, there is a time and a season to closely monitor your digital entertainment intake, but the newborn stage is not it! Pick a show, read a book on your Kindle, do what you have to to stay awake at 3 a.m.
2) Food Intolerance! There is a strong possibility that foods you consume may not agree with your wee one. For some it's the obvious, caffeine, cayenne pepper, etc., but for others, they may find themselves having to eliminate dairy, gluten, or God-forbid, refined sugar from their diets. You may need to read up on elimination diets if you think your diet could be negatively impacting your wee one.
3) Personal Hygiene Down the Toilet! Who can find time to shower when you've barely slept? Forget about looking cute, buy a bottle of dry shampoo, and claim your new reality where showers do not happen daily. This too shall pass.
4) Post-Partum Depression! Is very real. It is a hard thing to be a mama, and your hormones are still going nuts. If you think you might have some serious sads, don't be afraid to ask your doctor. It is nothing to be ashamed about.
5) Sore Nipples! Razor sharp gums aimed at one of the most sensitive areas on your body is mildly terrifying unless you really, really enjoy the feeling of sore nipples. In that case, razor sharp gums are awesome. Need help healing those sore nipples? Check out this article!
6) A Full Heart! Your heart just might burst with the love you have for this baby as he nestles in and receives nourishment from you.
Article Views: 501 Report this Article