Hair products like sulfate free shampoo have been making quite the impact on the beauty industry as of late. There are many benefits to using sulfate free hair products. If you're unsure whether you've been a victim of sulfates, look at the back of your shampoo bottle. You'll likely see ingredients such as Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS) or Ammonia Laureth Sulfate (ALS). So perhaps you're wondering what the benefits are of shampoo without sulfates. After doing a little research, I was glad that I jumped ship to a more natural product.
Sulfate Free Shampoo Benefits
1. It reduces irritation and skin damage. Shampoos containing sulfates, particularly SLS, have been shown to cause skin irritations. SLS can pierce through the skin barrier causing damage, allergic reactions, and increases in skin roughness. The higher the sulfate concentration, the more irritating it can be to your hair and skin.
2. It prevents premature hair loss. Sulfates have been attributed to causing premature hair loss in both men and women and may play a significant role in the prevalence of thinning hair. Being a caustic cleaner, products like Sodium Laureth Sulfate can damage the hair follicle and impede its ability to grow. In fact, sulfates have been shown to increase the duration of your hair loss cycle by up to 8 times longer than normal. Luckily, changing to a sulfate free shampoo and thus removing the irritating ingredient can restore the growth of the hair follicle.
3. It moisturizes the scalp and prevents dry hair. As mentioned earlier, higher concentrations of SLS can be more corrosive because it is actually used as an engine degreaser. Consequently, sulfates can shed your hair and skin of its natural oils and result in excessive scalp, hair, and skin dryness. Using an SLS free shampoo will allow your hair to recover, making it stronger and less brittle.
4. It minimizes fading of hair coloring. Sulfates in shampoo can cause the dye in your hair to diminish at an accelerated rate. Shifting to a sulphate free shampoo can preserve the duration of chemically colored hair.
5. It prevents eye damage in younger children. Sulfates like SLES (Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate) are potent detergents that have been shown to harm the developing structure of the eye in young animals. This raises concerns regarding ocular damage in both infants and younger children. SLES and SLS have been shown to be absorbed and retained in the eyes, liver, and brain of undeveloped animals for up to 5 days longer than in adults.
Based on this evidence and on the fact that SLS can be absorbed anywhere through the skin, exposure with sulfates in shampoo may cause abnormal development of the eyes in younger children.
Where can you get Sulfate Free Shampoo?
With the growing trend of “sulfate free” alternatives, these products are becoming more readily available. You can find a variety of sulfate free shampoo brands at your local health food or grocery store, generally located in the cosmetics aisle.
The key to picking the best product for you is to choose a high quality brand and double check the listed ingredients. Even though a shampoo may be marketed as being a SLS free shampoo, it may still contain a different type of sulfate that has been added as a replacement to mislead you. With scientific studies as proof of their harmful effects, the damaging outcomes of sulfates are indisputable . With its numerous benefits and superior safety profile, there’s really no reason to not use a sulfate free shampoo.
Article Views: 3831 Report this Article