In the world of the best fishing reel it really isnt that difficult to make sure you get your hands on the one that will work for you. There are a few things you will need to take into consideration. There are many types of fishing and because of that there are different rels out there. After you finish reading this article you will have an idea of the things you need to decide on what the best fishing reel for you is.
1. The first thing you want to look at is the grips on the reel. The first grip will be on the crank that reels the line into the reel and the second will be on the bottom of the shaft and sometimes on the shaft above the reel as well. You want a reel that isnt going to slip out of your hand as soon as water is involved. Your hands will get wet so keep that in mind when you are picking the best fishing reel for you.
2. When we talk about fishing I bet you never thought we would be talking about ball bearings but actually it is a very big decision when choosing a reel that you want to work well for you. How smooth your reel retrieves and stops has all to do with the ball bearings. Basically the more ball bearings the better reel you will have. Another big factor when it comes to ball bearings is how much your reel spins backwards when you are done reeling. We dont want the reel to go backwards at all because thats when line starts to come off the reel. It really is as simple as reeling in a bit and letting the reel stop. If it reels backwards then move on and look for a better reel.
3. The next thing you need to conside when looking for the best fishing reel is the line capacity of the reel. This is actually a two part thing that has to be determined. The two things are the maximum pound allowance and the maximum amount of line that the reel will hold. Be sure to get a reel that is going to work best for what you are fishing for. A good idea is a medium action rod that holds up to 10lb test. You will be quite surprised at how many different kinds of fish you could catch if you had to go up to 10lb test.
4. The type of reel is what is going to have to be your next decision. The three basic types are open face, closed face and bait casters. Again a lot will determine on what types of fish you will be attempting to catch. Many of the experts will suggest a bait caster but I want to dispute that at first. I believe the open face spinning reel is the one to use. When you first start out with fishing you will be fishing for things like walleye, perch, bass, crappie and even some pike. For all these fish an open face reel works just fine. When you eventually start going after huge pike, muskie and so forth then you may want to start looking at possibly a bait caster.
5. The next thing you will want to consider is the type of fishing you will be doing. We talked a little about this in the last point. The type of fish you go after will really make a difference in what type of reel you decide to purchase. Again there is a big difference in going after 4 pound walleys or 40 pound muskie. The thing is every fish you catch is going to be different but can you really afford a different reel for each and every fish you catch. Not to mention how would it even be possible to know what fish you will catch on each cast. So once again unless you are specifically going fishing for one certain thing you should continue using a good medium action open faced reel.
6. The next thing you want to look at when looking for the best fishing reel is the size and weight of your new reel. In most cases this wont make such a big deal to you because from one reel to another you will never have more then a couple of ounces difference in weight. However a couple of ounces over a long weekend of fishing could really make a difference. You also want to consider the weight when yo are making the purchase for your children.
At the end of the day its really all about catching a fish and enjoying every second of the procedure building up to that point. Fishing at all times needs to be kept fun. There is no way it should ever become a chore. The idea is to keep on fishing and keep on having fun.
We will move on and we will fish. The first thing is finding the basics you need for fishing.
Happy Fishing Everyone
Article Views: 2755 Report this Article