Have you ever wondered what marriage should be like? I am not talking about your present circumstances. Even the best of marriages can be improved, so we really should examine what marriage should be like.
Many marriages today are ending in divorce, so it is important that we understand what marriage should be, not what it is in many cases.
Here are some ideas of what marriage should be:
1. Marriage should be something held sacred. It is looked upon lightly by many people in today's society. Many times its principles are the butt of jokes on television and modern videos. There was a time when marriage was held in the most sacred of terms.
2. Marriage should be a commitment for life between a man and a woman. While the marriage bond could be broken by adultery, the idea of going into a marriage for any couple should be that of going into the marriage with a commitment to stay together for life.
3. Marriage should include a bond of mutual love and respect between a husband and wife. Some studies has shown that men usually have a greater need for admiration and respect than they do for romantic love and affection. Those same studies have also shown that women generally have a greater need for romantic love and affection than do the men.
4. A marriage should have all three aspects of leaving, cleaving, and becoming one flesh. One pastor said that in his years of biblical counseling, he saw that problems in marriage usually related to one of these three areas. In the case of leaving, the couple needs to leave behind past failures and move on by continuing to walk in victory in each day. There also should be the development of closeness. Finally, physical intimacy is important in any marriage.
5. In addition to the above-named items, a strong marriage will also have a commitment to overcome adversity, and to major on valuing each person's ability and inner character. It will also focus on meeting each other's needs, but most of all, it will include a commitment to be giving to your spouse. We would like to see someone who has grasped the concept of: "Give, and it shall be given unto you.
So, we have seen items that describe what marriage should be in the case of a successful marriage, and we have also seen some ideas, that if implemented by both husband and wife, have a good chance of taking a marriage on the way to being a bliss-filled marriage.
Article Views: 4146 Report this Article