FX's hit show Justified has had some awesome guest stars. Most of them aren't big name actors, but their performances are brilliant. The characters they create unforgettable. Margo Martindale and Jeremy Davies have both won Emmys for their portrayals of Kentucky criminals. Watching Martindale as Mags Bennett turn from grieving mother to threatening cold blooded crime queen in the blink of an eye is chilling. And Jeremy Davies' inept and not quite all there, Dickey Bennett, masks a dangerous psychopathic personality underneath a self effacing front.
That being said, here is my list of fantasy guest stars as friends and foes for the coolest lawman on television, U.S. Deputy Marshal Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant).
1. Eric Stonestreet. Stonestreet is a personal friend of Timothy Olyphant. Olyphant likes to tell the story of lamenting to Stonestreet that he was afraid he might be typecast after playing Raylan Givens. Stonestreet puts him in his place by telling him at least you will be typecast as a badass. What about me?
Eric Stonestreet plays Cam, one half of the gay couple on ABC's Modern Family. He has stated that he would love to play a bad guy on Justified. I for one am in his corner. I think he would be a fabulous bad guy! I see him as doing a Cam like personality, a little gay. A bit goofy and silly. But underneath that act is a cold blooded, ruthless, criminal mastermind. Will Raylan see through the act? Will they have the ultimate showdown? And what wisecrack would Art come up with? That could be a fun season.
2. Julianne Hough. That's right the sweetheart from Dancing with the Stars, Rock of Ages and Safe Haven. Ryan Seacrest's main squeeze until just recently. Julianne is sweetness and light, a blonde all American beauty. I see her in as a true Elmore Leonard character. Raylan runs across her as a stripper in some seedy joint. We all know Raylan's weakness for women. He will swallow her poor college student working her way through school story. He will become involved with her against his better judgement and Art's words of warning. Then she will turn out to be a hellcat like Raylan has never experienced. Julianne will turn out to be involved in some shady business, turning into a gun wielding, man eating force to be reckoned with. Will Raylan still have a soft heart for her? Will he let her slip off into the sunset after one long lingering kiss? And what will Art say? And the best part she and Raylan will share a dance sometime during the season. What could be better?
3. Don Johnson. The coolest lawman of the 80's meets the coolest lawman of the new century. That's right Sonny Crockett of Miami Vice meets Justified's Raylan Givens. The cool meter would be off the charts. Don Johnson is older now, but let's admit it the man is still cool. He is still easy on the eyes. Having been a Don Johnson fan since Miami Vice, I can tell you the man is cool but he is also very funny. He would fit in perfectly with Justified's tongue in cheek humor. But here he would be playing a ruthless drug lord. Don does bad very well. Let's throw in Johnson's real life son, Jesse, as the son he is grooming to take over from Dad. Enter Raylan who is forced to kill Jesse in a shootout. And the ultimate pay off, the showdown between Johnson, avenging his son and Givens, his son's killer. I would pay to see that shoot out. The witty banter before the shooting begins would be priceless. Will Raylan respect his ultra cool nemesis? Will he outgun his new rival or will they meet again in the future? And what will Art say?
4. Josh Duhamel. Yes, let's bring on the Timothy Olyphant look alike. Josh Duhamel, husband to Fergie, star of movies and TV, is always being mistken for Olyphant or vice versa. Olyphant even made a joke about it when he costarred on The Office. When a coworker said " You know who you look like?" Olyphant's character responded "Josh Duhamel?" So let's have him on. He is a wanna be Marshal. After realizing he looks like Raylan, he dons the stetson hat and begins impersonating Givens. Of course this is going to land Raylan in a lot of hot water. Can Raylan track him down? Will he unleash the Givens fury on him? Will Art believe there is a Raylan impostor. What will Art say?
5. Jennifer Garner. Another old buddy of Timothy Olyphant. They starred together in the movie Catch and Release. I thought they had great chemistry. I see Mrs. Affleck as the one for Raylan. Forget the whiny, never stand by her man Winona, Garner is the new love in Raylan's life. She is a nurse. Raylan meets her when he goes to the hospital after one of his violent altercations. Sparks fly. Romance begins. She proves she will stand shoulder to shoulder with her lawman through thick and thin. She accepts that being a marshal is not just what Raylan does it is who he is. The series finale will be Garner and Givens exchanging wedding vows. Will Raylan be able to make it work this time? Will love make him a kinder, gentler man? And what will Art say?
6. Clint Eastwood. I can't imagine a better pairing than Eastwood and Olyphant. They both wear hats very well. They both make being a cowboy look cool. They are both laconic, laid back, super cool badasses. I see Clint as the wise old retired Marshal, who comes back for one special assignment. Together he and Raylan bring down the Dixie Mafia. Standing toe to toe, they shoot it out straight up with the bad guys. "Take one more step I'm gonna shoot ya. All I'm gonna say" "Go ahead, punk make my day". Now that is a scene I would pay to see. Will Raylan and Clint prevail? Will Art be jealous of their relationship? What will Art say?
Well that is my dream guest star list. Who do you think would be a great guest star. Tell me in the comments. I would love to add to my list.
Article Views: 2103 Report this Article